Tuesday, July 12, 2016

La Isla Tortuga

What an amazing weekend! After our Café Britt excursion on Saturday, we left early Sunday morning at 6:00 a.m. to Isla Tortuga (Turtle Island) for the day. I didn't know what the day would entail with such a large group of students of UCR, but I can say that the trip definitely exceeded any expectation I could have possibly had.

Upon arrival to the port town, the catamaran company prepared us a delicious typical Costa Rican breakfast, gallo pinto. After our breakfast we loaded on the sunscreen, enjoyed the live music they played for us, and set sail. 


The boat ride to the island couldn't have been more perfect. The sun was shining, the wind was in our hair, and it didn't hurt that the crew served us fresh tropical fruit the entire tip! As we approached the island, which is shaped like a turtle, the views were breathtaking. We arrived to the island and as soon as we were able to, we prepared ourselves for snorkeling. Life in the sea is something incredible. I saw such a variety of vibrantly colored fish and coral, I felt like a fish myself swimming in the sea.


After snorkeling, the company cooked a fantastic lunch for the entire group on the island and a group of my friends and classmates of mine sat together to chat about all of the wonderful experiences we had had in Costa Rica. 
Teresa, my roommate from Texas and I have enjoyed our time getting to know each other while speaking in Spanish the entire time. She has been wonderful to get to know and I know that we will continue our friendship after our experience here in Costa Rica. Tara, a student from Kentucky, has also become a friend and it has been fun to travel and get to know her and her love for selfies!



After our wonderful lunch and friendly discussions, Teresa and I sunbathed on the beach while listening to the waves crash against the shore. The beach was a bit rocky, but that didn't stop me from taking a dip in the Golf of Nicoya. The time passed quickly that day, and we set sail again back to the port, Punta Arenas. 

Although it was a tourist destination, I would certainly recommend the excursion. It rained quite heavily on our way back to the port, but getting wet from the rain was definitely worth seeing the rainbow after the storm. 




No comments:

Post a Comment