Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Montezuma

I spent my last weekend here in Costa Rica travelling to Montezuma, a southern beach town off of the peninsula. I had no idea what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised and would definitely return.




I arrived to Montezuma after three bus transfers and a ferry ride across the Nicoyan peninsula. It was late, so we grabbed a bite to each at a local seafood soda and then slept peacefully in our hotel. Friday, however, it rained almost the entire day, so I was able to relax in town by reading my novel and studying for classes. The town itself is extremely small and there are not many Ticos that are from Montezuma. In fact, most of the town was comprised of young travelers from around the world, who occupied a lot of the hostels. It was a unique experience getting to know people from Europe and South America specifically.



The weather Saturday was much better than Friday. We decided to go to another beach about thirty minutes from where we were, one of the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica. We took a mini bus to the nature reserve, Cabo Blanco in which we then hiked up through the dense jungle to eventually find ourselves at a secluded white sandy beach. It was not the easiest of hikes, in fact, probably one of the hardest I have ever taken, but it was most definitely worth it. Along the hike, we saw different species of monkeys than we had in Manuel Antonio. Upon arrival to the beach, the only obvious living species on the beach were hundreds of hermit crabs. It felt like I was being attacked by them, but they were harmless little creatures.We enjoyed the breeze, bamboo, sand and sea and rested before our hike back down.


That evening we enjoyed a unique Mediterrean meal at a popular tourist restaurant, however I didn´t entirely escape Costa Rican food of course as Sunday I enjoyed a vegeterian casado, one of the best I have had yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment